Monday, August 15, 2011

9 Pentecost, Year A, 14 August 2011

Psalm 133, Genesis 45:1-15, Romans 11:1-2, 29-32, Matthew 15:21-28
Preached by Rev. Erwin Veale

I usually like to preach on the gospel lesson, the good news. Today’s gospel is a hard one for me so I want to take a different approach. I love the Old Testament story we see concluded today. Joseph had a chance for revenge. He had all the authority and resources behind him to wipe his brothers from the face of the earth. What would we have done?
Has anybody done you wrong? What has your response been? What is your attitude about that issue even in this very moment? I’d rather you answer these questions! I would not want to tell all with regard to my story and that of my family. What are we to do? We are to do as Joseph does in what we call the Old Testament.
Joseph’s actions precede those of Jesus and we are to also do as Jesus does. Jesus knew the story of Joseph very well. He was beginning to understand his role in this world. I believe he knew the power he had behind him to judge the world with a power even greater than Joseph had.
Joseph forgave. Jesus forgives. We are to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment