Friday, June 24, 2011

Trinity Sunday, Year A, 19 June 2011

Psalm 8, Genesis 1:1-2:4, 2 Corinthians 13:11-13, Matthew 28:16-2
Preached by Rev. Erwin Veale

“God in three persons, blessed trinity.” The hymn “Holy, Holy, Holy” is one of my favorites. It reminds me of happy days in church as a child and the seedling days of my faith journey. It is bittersweet, too, because it was the one hymn sung at the funeral of a friend. It was one of his favorites.
When the death of a friend fractures our soul how will we respond? When the other hurtful events of life come our way what will we do? Will we still look for the Light of Christ to shine through the prism pieces to make a rainbow shine through or will we stay bitter and angry? It’s hard to choose the first one, I know. It is a choice, though.
I think of this hymn today as we celebrate together Trinity Sunday. I smile, I’m even tempted to laugh out loud, as I think of how many times I’ve supplied in a variety of congregations on this first Sunday after Pentecost. Preaching about the Trinity, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is simple, right?
WRONG!

However we approach our understanding of this mystery my we honor what I believe to be another profound truth: Our loving God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit has created, still sustains, and will forever protect all things bright and beautiful. And that includes us. Thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment